The Mnyera and Ruhudji rivers are situated in the wildlife rich southern part of Tanzania. These rivers flow in a south-westerly direction away from the Selous game reserve and form part of the Great Ruaha basin. The Tengo and Samaki Camps which are situated on the fore mentioned rivers offer adventurous fly fisherman access to 70kms of truly large Tigerfish water. Guests are expected to fly into Dares Salaam the night before the scheduled charter flight into camp. The flight from Dares Salaam to the dirt strip at the Mnyera River takes an hour and thirty five minutes onboard a private chartered Cessna Caravan. Guests are then transferred 30 minutes via land cruiser to the camp. There are four guests per week and half their stay is spent at the Tengo Camp on the Mnyera River and the other half at the Samaki Camp on the Ruhudji River. The 4 guests staying at and fishing the Mnyera River on the first few days will get a half a days fishing on the day of arrival whilst the guests fishing the Ruhudji River for the first few days will leave immediately for the Ruhudji Camp (2 hour drive). After three full days of fishing the two groups will swop camps and rivers, with the group fishing on the Mnyera camp on the last few days receiving a morning session of fishing before catching the charter flight back to Dar Es Salaam.
These comfortable tented camps under the African stars ensure that the safari experience is as much a part of this trip as the hunting trophy Tigerfish which thrive in this wild environment. Buffalo, Lion, Leopard and Elephant are all common in the area, as well as a host of plains game species including Puku, Warthog, Hartebeest, Zebra, Eland, Waterbuck and Bushbuck. The bird life is exceptional with many rare and endemic species such as the Pels Fishing Owl, Palmnut Vulture, Narina Trogan, Broad Billed Roller, African Fin Foot and White Backed Night Heron.
All tents contain two large single beds, hot and cold running water, showers, flush toilets, hand basins and linen is provided daily. All furniture is fashioned from local timber and is tasteful and functional. Dinners are enjoyed under the stars in the outdoor boma or around the campfire. Whilst in camp you can enjoy a full bar service as well as meals created in true delicious African style.
Anglers wake up at first light and after a hearty breakfast head out on the river for the day. A packed lunch ensures that anglers take full advantage of their time on the river and after a full day of exploring, all boats meet at the moorage just before sunset. The majority of the fishing is done on the drift, tied up or on anchor from one of the 16ft aluminium boats with 25Hp outboards. The fishing works on a rotational basis with anglers experiencing multiple beats on both the different rivers. The river structure comprises of fallen trees, long sand banks, steep mud drop-offs and rocky out crops. These rivers are extremely rich in bait fish and have received very little fishing pressure in the past. The combination of these factors has resulted in this population of Tigerfish obtaining gigantic proportions. The average size fish that one can expect to hook ranges between 8 and 12lbs which is a phenomenal figure for this species. Trophy fish in this system are measured above the 20lbs mark and are encountered on a weekly basis. In truth this is simply the finest Tigerfish fishery on the planet and comparable to any remote wilderness fishery on the planet!
Cost 2013 season: $7955 per person ex Dar Es Salaam
Single supplements: Available on request
Max pax: 8
- Meet and greet in Dares Salaam
- All transfers to and from airportPrivate charter flight to and from Camp in a Cessna Caravan.
- Five full days and two half days fishing on the Mnyera and Ruhudji rivers.
- All meals, accommodation, and drinks.
- Boats and fuel (2 anglers per boat)
- Fishing licenses and concession fees
- International Flights to Dares Salaam
- Visas $50.00 per person (Obtainable on arrival)
- Overnight accommodation in Dares Salaam FlyCastaway will pre-arrange bookings.
The Mnyera and Ruhudji Rivers are situated just out of the Selous game reserve in the southern part of Tanzania.
- Sat – Day 1: Charter to camp (4 rods will transfer to Ruhudji Camp and 4 rods will stay on the Mnyera River). Mnyera guests will fish afternoon session.
- Day 2: Fish Ruhudji
- Day 3: Fish Ruhudji
- Day 4: Fish Ruhudji (Camp swap guests will move between camps this evening or early morning on Day 5)
- Day 5: Fish Mnyera
- Day 6: Fish Mnyera
- Day 7: Fish Mnyera
- Sat – Day 8: Morning fishing for guests on Mnyera. Charter flight to Dares Salaam
There are daily flights into Dares Salaam and guests are expected to fly in at least the night before the scheduled charter flight into camp. The flight from Dares Salaam to the air strip at the Mnyera River takes an hour and thirty five minutes onboard a private chartered Cessna Caravan.
Target Species: Tigerfish (Hydrocynus Tanzanaie.)
Fishing Season: August – October
Boats: 16ft aluminium boats with 25Hp outboards
Additional: No luggage and tackle restrictions on the private charter flight.
Time Difference: GMT+3
- South Africa Dar es Salaam – 3 hours 20 minutes
- London – Dar es Salaam – 9 hours 40 minutes
All visitors require a valid passport with at least 6 months validity. Visas are necessary for all visitors and these are obtainable on entry at a cost $50.00.
Medical & Health Requirements:
Mandatory emergency medical evacuation insurance. Valid yellow fever inoculations are required by most countries on your return from Tanzania. There is Malaria in the area so guests are expected to take anti Malaria medication as well as use Peaceful Sleep spray at all times. Long lightweight shirts and pants are suggested and work well in prevention of mosquito bites.
The Tanzania Shilling is the official currency. US dollars and credit cards are accepted for most transactions. There are foreign exchange departments at the Airport and your hotel.
All staff members and guides are fluent in English, the local language is Swahili.
The camps are equipped with a satellite phone which can be used to make phone calls. This will be charged to the guests at an additional cost.
Tackle and Kit:
Single-handed 9ft, 9wt or 10wt outfits with matching intermediate and sink tip lines. A comprehensive tackle and gear list along with an order form (should you wish to purchase your tackle through us) is issued after your booking has been confirmed. The guides in camp will also carry limited stock of suitable flies and other terminal tackle, should you run out. We offer a G-Loomis Crosscurrent Fly Rods and Shilton SL6 Reels rental service where anglers may rent these items on a trip basis.
- All reservation made more than 12 months in advance requires an initial deposit of 20% of the total amount due to be received within 14 days of invoicing.
- Twelve (12) months prior to departure 50% of the total amount is due.
- All reservation made less than 12 months in advance requires an initial deposit of 50% of the total amount due to be received within 14 days of invoicing.
- Three (3) months prior to departure 100% of the total amount is due.
- If a booking is made less than 90 days prior to departure full payment is due immediately. Cancellation
- If a cancellation is made 12 months or more prior to departure the 50% of the deposit will be forfeited.
- Cancellations made 12 to 6 months prior to departure, 50% of charter rate shall be forfeited.
- Cancellations made 6 months or less prior to departure, full individual charter rate shall be forfeited.
- Reservation for which payment are not received as on time as per the terms are subject to cancellation by FCA 7 days after notification.
- In case of cancellation by FlyCastaway money received will be paid back in full excluding bank charges.
- Rates are subject to change without prior notice
All Cancellations must be made in writing. Deposit will only be refunded if a replacement can be found. Reservation for which payment are not received as on time as per the terms are subject to cancellation by FCA 7 days after notification. *Once a deposit is received, all revisions are subject to a 100 handling fee. *All prices are subject to availability of bookings, change by service providers, and are quoted at low season fares. *Rates are subject to change. *The ship/lodge reserves the right to cancel a sailing/trip due to bad weather conditions.
At time of quote flight charges, island fees and government taxes are correct but are subject to change without prior notice. Increases in any of these facets are out of the control of FlyCastaway and will be transferred to the client. Service providers used such as airlines and charter boat operators are independent business concerns and are in no way affiliated to FlyCastaway (FCA). Although all reasonable efforts will be made to ensure the smooth running of the tour, FCA cannot be held responsible in any way for bad or non-performance of service providers. While all possible efforts will be made to ensure the success of this tour, FCA cannot be held responsible in any way for cancellation in total or in part or non-performance in any way, due to bad weather or any other detrimental natural phenomenon/disaster, political unrest or war.
All guests must have a comprehensive medical emergency evacuation insurance policy, as well as travel insurance policy to cover them for the duration of the trip. It is the right of the live-aboard service provider to cancel any booking without refund, if the client is not adequately insured. In this case, adequate insurance means: an insurance that covers emergency medical evacuation from the scene of the illness or accident, to the nearest best hospital and then back to your hometown. Cancellation and curtailment insurance cover is also recommended. Furthermore all guests will be required to sign and return the Reservation and Indemnity Form prior to the trip.